Monday, July 08, 2013

Officially Mrs Kwek! Recap of our Wedding Part 1: The Planning, The Theme & The Set-Up

June just came and gone by in a flash! It had been a blasting month with loads of fun celebrative occassions! :)

First up,  as the title suggested, Mr Kwek and I finally tied the knot! *YAY!*

On June 1st 2013: He stoled my heart, I stoled his last name!

The start of another journey after 6 years of dating! :)

I am very excited to share with the world every details about our wedding. However, its going to take me forever to write all details. Hence, I will have to break it down and start with our wedding theme!

We had a personalised wedding and here's a picture of our personalised wedding reception:
Every props seen during the reception were hand-made by us! Every lil' details were painstakingly designed, drawned, cut, glued and painted by us! Literally, just us!

And yes, you guessed it right: we had a fun-filled movie theme for our wedding! :)  Mr Kwek's idea of having a pre-wedding video taken sparked this whole wedding theme! I won't deny, first on our thought was to have it easy and hire a wedding planner to do the planning for us. However, we dropped the idea after visiting a couple of them. First, all of them were charging crazily high prices. Secondly, all of them were offering the same ideas. Lastly, we are not prepared to pay for a tailor-made wedding!

So what do you do if you want a personalised wedding yet not willing to pay the moolahs?

You do-it-yourself! :)

That was my exact thought after the last disappointing visit to the wedding planner.

I started googling for ideas and drafting out plans for our wedding. Mr Kwek was very supportive although his lazy bones and uncreative self was doing otherwise. LOL.

To be honest, it was a tough and stressful 1.5years of planning. I am a perfectionist when it comes to art & crafts. Hence, I trusted no one but myself with all the crafting. Mr Kwek was my assistant; he was our logistic master while I was the creative master. :)

We worked well together: I draft out ideas - we discuss - he agrees - we source for materials together - I do the crafting - he assist - Voila! One by one, nice beautiful props started appearing infront of us!
And here's a picture of our self-designed-semi-DIY invitation card! :)
I had the design drawn out and had the vendor to print the cards. The ribbons and movie tickets were self-printed and tied together since we did not want to incur the extra cost of printing irregular shaped cards.

We even went the extra mile to emboss the envelopes! :)
Next up is the banquet set-up! We had the venue's florist to customise our banquet setting with ideas I had in mind as we did not have enough tim for this. I love red roses and heart-shapes and since both are related largely to weddings, we had a red heart-theme for our banquet. :)

 The set-up din't come at a small price tag. I was hesitant for awhile about outsourcing the set-up but Mr Kwek was very dotting on me. Not wanting to make the banquet mismatching from the reception (think: I am a perfectionist) and not wanting us to stress about it at the last hour, he did not think twice and gave the florist the go ahead. He surprisd me much as he is a thrifty person. :)

Much to our delight, the set-up was done pretty much like what we had wanted. Only down was I had hoped the backdrop was of a lighter shade. Still it was pretty. The heart set-up was made out of red mosses imported from Holland. These mosses costed us a bomb!
Lastly, we had the aisle stands and table center pieces customised to our theme as well. Both were made out of fresh red roses and hert-shaped leaves! *max love*

No words can describe the sense of accomplishment we felt when we see the entire set-up during the actual day! Okay, I did not see it myself because, as the bride, you are stuck in the make-up room till just before the first march-in (blah). Anyhow, we received many positive feedback from the guests! :)

I hope you enjoyed reading about the planning and set-up of our themed wedding!
In my next entry, I will be recapping our wedding day-Morning!

Please stay tune! :)

No comments: